Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Book Review: "Out of Style: a Modern Perspective of How, Why and When Vintage Fashions Evolved"

While at the Jamboree genealogy conference this last weekend, I finally came across a book I've been trying to get my hands on for some time.  It's called "Out of Style: a Modern Perspective of How, Why and When Vintage Fashions Evolved", by Betty Kreisel Shubert.


It's a delightful, easy-to-read, light reading on the ever-changing styles of the 19th and 20th American fashions. Going back to 1830 and covering everything from hairstyles, hats, bodices, sleeves, hoop skirts, the author even found time to include men's and children's fashions. Lots of insightful commentary explaining each style. I had no idea that there were two different types of hoop skirts--the cone-shaped style and the cage-crinoline style. And there's the nine (yes, 9!) phases and styles of bustles. Who knew? I do now!


The book itself is not expected to be genealogical in nature, but it does have its value. Think about all those photos, portraits, and drawings of our ancestors that we cherish--and notice the fashion changes from one decade to another. This book is a great way to help us date those undated pictures of our ancestors.


Three days since Jamboree 2014 ended. I'm still exhausted, but playing with the ideas and clues I've picked up. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love having the history, fashions and information on the lives these people led. Anything to make them more than a name and birth date! I think it sounds like a wonderful find!

    ReplyDelete