Saturday, June 7, 2014

Jamboree time!!

Today--Saturday, June 7--is the second day of the Jamboree conference.  This wonderful genealogy conference is hosted and run by the Southern California Genealogy Society.  The last two days has left my head spinning--and there's still tomorrow! :)


Highlights for me (so far) include learning the history of the Erie Canal, the largest man-made canal for its time.  It was built in the early 1800's and opened to its fullest extent by 1825. Several dozen jobs were created because of the Canal, which still functions today.  Thanks to John P. Colletta for that historical lecture.  John also spoke on how to use State Archives, which is not easy in that each state has its own way of organizing archival materials.


Judy Russell, the Legal Genealogist, gave a great talk on the "Who, What, Why, When, Where and How of American Divorce" and difficult it was to get a divorce in the 19th century.  Imagine having to go to the state legislature and ask for permission (via legislative action) to get a divorce.  Or going to the state (or territorial) governor for permission.  And knowing how slow the legislative system can be (and not counting Congress!), what a burden it was.


Today, for the first time, I volunteered for the APG (Association of Professional Genealogists) consulting sessions.  Flying without my laptop and internet access, my job was to be a second set of eyes for beginner genealogists looking for advice and guidance in their own research.  What a way to stretch my genealogical muscles!! 


And to make things interesting, the president of the Southern California chapter of the APG asked me to become the chapter secretary.  I said yes. :) And then we had our meeting and had to take notes by hand--crazy reminder to never leave home without my laptop!


Now off to type up the minutes of my first meeting as secretary.  More to follow tomorrow if I am still upright and breathing.....





No comments:

Post a Comment